The Independent Electrical Contractors Association has developed a registered program approved and monitored by the U.S. Department of Labor's Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training (BAT) and the Kentucky State Apprenticeship Council (SAC). It is a four-year program, which includes 144 hours of classroom training per year with lectures, demonstrations, labs, homework, comprehensive exams, and 2000 hours of on-the-job training per year, which is administered by the IEC Apprenticeship Training Committee and IEC personnel. Contact the office today, 859-266-4968, and place your new and untrained employees in this registered program.
Would you like to learn how to be an electrician or electrical contractor? IEC offers a first-class apprenticeship program.
What is Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship is a relationship between an employer and an employee during which the worker, or apprentice, learns a trade. An apprenticeship covers all aspects of the trade.
What will I be trained in as an electrical apprentice?
- various electrical systems and how they are designed
- installing, repairing, and trouble-shooting electrical systems
- the use of principal tools and test equipment found in the electrical industry
- safety precautions used in the trade
- Click here to view the current curriculum
What type of classes will I need to attend?
In addition to on-the-job training with a certified electrician, IEC apprenticeship program includes instruction. In a formal classroom setting, you will learn the techniques of the trade, along with the theory behind those techniques. Classroom training includes detailed discussion of how typical tasks are performed and the safety precautions that must be taken. You will be required to study trade manuals and educational materials. Classes are taught by experienced craft workers and other skilled persons and are normally scheduled in the evenings.
What are the criteria for applying to the IEC Apprenticeship Program?
- Must complete an application
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Must pass the approved IEC of the Bluegrass entrance exam
- Provide one (1) form of photo identification
- Physical requirements: Must be able to perform the essential duties of the trade
- All applicants must be able to arrange their own transportation to and from the worksite and to and from the related training location where applicable
How do I schedule an appointment?
For more information regarding the Apprenticeship Program or to schedule entrance exam please contact the IEC office at 859-266-4968. *Entrance Exams are scheduled Mon-Friday 9:00am and 1:30pm.